Susan G. Komen® Nevada

Susan G. Komen® Nevada was established on March 16, 2016, formed by the union of Susan G. Komen® Southern Nevada and Susan G. Komen® Northern Nevada.

As a combined force, Komen Nevada remains committed to fulfilling the Susan G. Komen Promise: to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality of care for all and energizing science to find the cures.

The consolidation of the two Nevada Affiliates into Komen Nevada stems from a long-term relationship between both Affiliates. The merger allows Komen Nevada to streamline operations so that more time and resources can be focused toward supporting women and men in need across the state, maximizing the impact on the fight against breast cancer.

Komen Nevada is an independent, local non-profit organization, dedicated to combating breast cancer. 75 percent of Komen Nevada’s net proceeds will stay in Nevada to fund local breast cancer education, screening, and treatment programs, while the remaining 25 percent is contributed to Komen’s leading international breast cancer research program.


Together, Komen Nevada has been raising funds and supporting Nevada communities for 21 years. To date, more than $11.2 million has been allocated to local education, screening and treatment programs for the uninsured and underinsured and more than $3 million has been raised for international breast cancer research focused on reducing breast cancer incidence and/or mortality within the decade.

How We Started

In Southern Nevada, two very motivated (and a little bit naïve!) women became aware of this event called the Race for the Cure and said to each other, “We can do that!”  And so, in 1996, the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Las Vegas was born.  Shortly thereafter, an Affiliate began, which has experienced tremendous growth over the years.  What started with a dedicated army of volunteers has become, well, a small, but mighty, staff… and an even larger army of volunteers! By investing over $7 million into the community for life-saving breast health services over the years, Komen has been a resource for hundreds and hundreds of women and families who find themselves in a situation they were not expecting.  All has only been possible because of the commitment from thousands of volunteers and community partners who believe in the promise as strongly as we do.

In Northern Nevada, there was an equally dedicated group of women who developed the first Race for the Cure in 1998 and then officially launched the Affiliate in 1999.  These visionaries saw the need to assist local women with breast cancer screening and treatment programs, while also raising awareness regarding the importance of early detection in the prevention of breast cancer deaths.  This is a cause that becomes so personal to so many and the volunteers in the north have shown, year after year, their dedication and passion for not only this cause, but for Susan G. Komen and the promise made between two sisters.

About Susan G. Komen®

Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $889 million in research and provided $1.95 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Visit komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN. Connect with us on social at ww5.komen.org/social.