Our Community Need
The Northern Nevada Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® was formed in 1999 and currently serves 10 counties in Nevada: Churchill, Douglas, Lyon, Pershing, Storey, Washoe, Humboldt, Elko, Lander, Eureka and Carson City (defined as a Consolidated Municipality and not part of any county) and we also expand into Northern California to include Lassen County and small portions of 3 counties in the Sierra Nevada Mountains that border Lake Tahoe: Nevada, County, Placer County and El Dorado County. The mission of the Komen Northern Nevada Affiliate is to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality care for all, and by energizing science to find the cures.
Every two years the Northern Nevada Affiliate goes through the process of gathering information and assigning priorities in order to understand the state of breast cancer in our service areas.
The Community Profile allows Northern Nevada to:
- Include a broad range of people in the Affiliate’s work and become more diverse
- Fund, educate, and build awareness in the areas of greatest need
- Make good decisions about how to use its resources in the best way – to make the greatest impact
- Bring the message closer to home, into the community, to strengthen relationships with sponsors
- Give information to public policymakers to focus their work
- Give direction to marketing and outreach programs
- Create synergy between strategic plans and operational activities
To view our community needs, download our Community Profile