Grant Funds 2013-2014
Affiliate grant programs: Making a difference in northern Nevada
The Northern Nevada Affiliate is proud to fund a variety of community-based breast cancer education, screening and treatment projects for the medically underserved. A total of $315,195 in grants will be distributed through the local programs of the following organizations in 2013:
- Access to Healthcare provides breast cancer treatment services (biopsy, surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy) to a minimum of 10 low-income, uninsured women residing in northern Nevada through the Patient Care Fund, which ensures financial assistance to cover up to 100% of the cost of care related to breast cancer treatment services.
- American Cancer Society Resource Centers are locally based in two hospital sites, St Mary’s Regional Medical Center and Renown Medical Center, and will provide $100 gas cards or $100 hotel lodging cards to those traveling farther than 50 miles to receive breast cancer treatment and services in Reno.
- Carson Tahoe Healthcare Foundation provides a safety net for women experiencing financial hardship and those under 40 who fall through funding cracks — helping with diagnostic procedures and other critical, uncovered expenses. Once diagnosed, other doors open for assistance, but during the diagnostic phase no other program supports them.
- Community Health Alliance (formerly HAWC) provides 1:1 education, clinical breast exams, mammograms, biopsies and treatment support in Washoe and Storey counties to 500 unduplicated low income uninsured women/men, the majority of whom are Hispanic. Education, outreach & support services are performed by a bilingual Breast Health Navigator.
- Nevada Health Centers – Elko Clinic will cover the cost of a mammogram, and the cost to have it read by a radiologist for local women who need immediate assistance, and cannot wait for the Mammovan to come to their area. This program specifically targets low-income, uninsured minority women who are not eligible for support from Women’s Health Connection.
- Nevada Health Centers Mammovan is a mobile van that travels throughout Nevada to provide mammography services to women who typically would not have such an opportunity. In 2012, the Mammovan provided mammograms to more than 3,200 women. The majority of women served were uninsured and/or geographically isolated. The Mammovan Program also provides breast health awareness through our community outreach program.
- Reno Cancer Foundation offers financial support to underserved, underinsured and uninsured breast cancer patients in the northern Nevada area so they can receive the treatment necessary in their struggle against breast cancer. The funding helps reduce barriers and increase access to life saving medical treatment. Activities include paying co-pays, medication, out-of-pocket expenses, insurance premiums, COBRA payments; paying for transportation for patients who must travel to treatment centers; providing financial assistance with ongoing living expenses such as rent, utilities, groceries; and providing information and assistance to Latina patients.
- Renown Health Foundation assists patients with expenses associated with the treatment of breast cancer, specifically prescription co-pays, lodging, and transportation costs.
- Tahoe Forest Hospital Foundation medical staff will train Family Resource Center Peer Educators on Breast Health Education, including the importance of breast exams and mammography. These Peer Educators then share this information with their clients through educational outreach. Many clients will go on to receive clinical breast exams and diagnostic screening services for the first time in their lives.